Time to Upgrade?
- 2.8Ghz Core i7 Processor
- 16Gb Ram
- 1Tb SSD
A better upgrade plan
2016 MacBook Pro
- While USB-C is the future, going USB-C only when so few devices use it and if you just bought an iPhone 7 (announced only a month ago) you need to buy a special cable! (I really hope they include a couple in the box). An HDMI port is also super-useful
- Removing the SD-card slot is a big deal for photographers and YouTubers, a key market for MacBook Pro!
- The MagSafe power adapter the connects magnetically has saved many a MacBook from being knocked on the floor (I’ve got little kids)
- Cost is pretty high … even for the cheapest model
- TouchBar (except, I like physically volume buttons, have way too many tabs open to make tab-switching workable and don’t have a love of, or use for Emojis ;-))
- Faster (always a good thing, though speed doesn’t seem so important anymore)
- Lighter (by half a pound, or just over 100g … doubt I’d notice that)
- Thinner (the thickness of my MacBook Pro doesn’t bother me, and I’d rather have full-travel keys)
- Better Display (I’m sure it pops more, but the current Retina displays are pretty good)
MacBook Pro Conclusion?
In short this is testimony to the fact that my Late 2013 MacBook is really well-built. It’d been on bikes in backpacks, to campsites, with kids, and much more and just keeps going. The build-quality is great.
However I’m a bit concerned that the innovation seems lacking at Apple at the moment. Microsoft’s Surface announcements seem more like the kind of innovation we should see. My ideal MacBook Pro wishlist is:
- Don’t give me thinner, give me more batter (10 hours isn’t enough, 15-20 is the wow)
- Touch-screen, please? My kids don’t understand why you can’t just touch the screen, nor can I
- USB 3.0 USB slot; MagSafe connector and then 2 USB C ports (please include a USB C cable!)
- What about a full-width trackpad that could be a musical keyboard/ scratch area, something new!
What do you think? Let us know in a comment, and get in touch if you want some advice.